Sunday, December 2, 2012

Classroom Tech Use - Bumps and Bonuses



   

     Integrating even the most basic technology into my classroom continues to be a challenge. I am definitely an old dog, historically reluctant to learn new tricks. As I have begun to be excited about, and recognize the necessity of, teaching with technology, I find myself starring in a repeating scenario. I find something new to try, get super pumped about it, and then due in equal parts to my technological black thumb, or a lack of the correct technologies, I am left frustrated and ready to forgo anything that requires a plug, battery, password or screen of any sort!
     That said, I am beginning to recognize a new routine when I am confronted with a problem. Step One used to be to either give up or call for help. Attempting to problem-solve alone was scary; I had a feeling that computers were delicate and that if I erred I'd be causing irreparable damage. I also felt limited by computer use. That if what I wanted wasn't working, there was no other option. Step Two was to revert to a back-up non-electronic lesson plan. It was also endlessly frustrating to waste instructional time trying to get things to work in class that were fully functional when I had planned them.
     These bumps in the road were on their way to becoming permanent blocks, keeping me from being a modern, current educator. The tide has begun to turn in a few key ways. Step One is now me. Calling for help is the last resort as I have become more comfortable with two ideas - We are all learning, and, as I tell my class, learners are people who make mistakes, fail, make more mistakes, and that is how they learn (interesting how my teaching with others was so easy to ignore when I was the one making mistakes!), and I have new tools in my kit that can help me solve problems myself. I am also learning that as frustrating as computer glitches are, it is okay to experiment. It is highly unlikely that I will kill the computer!
     Step Two is still about 50-50, but I feel comfortable with it. Some days, it may be okay to spend class time trying to solve something, and work together with my kids to do so. Other days I need to be mindful of the curriculum objective specifically and can't spare the time. And it is alright to make the old paper and pen choice. I am learning not to take it so personally when that happens, but to recognize that learning the new tricks was only the first step. Getting comfortable with them is another, and I am just beginning that phase of the relationship.
     The bonus of being willing to try to problem solve on my own is that I find myself stumbling upon things to try when I am looking for something else entirely. This has been both fun and crazy-making, as I sometimes try to integrate too many new things before I am adept at utilizing them.
     All in all, as the year progresses, and the fall comes to a close, I can take a moment to give myself a pat on the back. It is exciting and humbling to relearn something you are already very good at doing, and I am confident that I am an exceptional teacher. However, that does not excuse me from staying current, even though I sometimes try to let it.

4 comments:

  1. It's definitely ok to go back to the paper and pen choice at times. If tech isn't being used to be innovative or enhance students' learning in a specific way then it can be a burden instead of a benefit. I love reading your journey through it all and appreciate all of your honest reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I agree with you, technology makes us sometimes frustrated and overwhelmed especially when we need it, or when we don't know what is wrong with it.
    I am glade that you are not taking this personally and that you are beginning a new relationship with technology

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that great teachers always have a back up lesson plan. During the Encinitas visit the teacher was trying to show us some technology she uses, she tried several times, to no avail. She eventually decided it was best to just let it go and move on. I think that it is important as you said to try to solve the problem, but if too much time is being wasted, it only makes sense to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I am relatively young, I have taught in a school where we don't have much technology other than computers. I used to interpret "integrating technology" as simply letting the students use the computer to go online and research or to use word. :/ I too have grown a lot from this experience and from my experience here at USD. At the beginning of this course, I wasn't reluctant but I did find it difficult to bring technology to my classroom. But I agree, we should keep up with the trends and what we can and can't bring into our class. :)

    ReplyDelete