Friday, December 21, 2012

Learning from a Far (Get it?)

    So, last week Far graciously extended an offer to show me how she runs her WebEx classes - a personal tutorial, if you will. It was an interesting learning experience, and Far was a super effective instructor. I was impressed at her mastery and ease at teaching online, an environment where I am still attempting to gain some facility.
     She showed me how she sets up her classes, how her students virtually raise their hands, how she can tell if they are attending to their work or not (somethings are the same for teachers, no matter the forum!). We practiced changing screens to share information, talking on the phone using the speaker and just up to the ear :), looked at some power points together while she spoke about them, etc. It was a highly effective way to teach, and I was impressed not only with the job Far did as a teacher, but with a couple of other things, as well. The differences in teaching online vs face-to-face, and the implications for global education, like MOOCs.
     I am a very emotionally and physically connected teacher. I hug students as they enter and leave the room (granted, they are seven :) ) and often use touch to refocus or encourage them. I bend down to make eye contact, and often make myself physically lower than they are to give them more power when I think they need it. Teaching online definitely removes those tools from the teacher kit. It made me wonder how much of my practice I'd have to change if my job ever became more internet oriented.
     When Farheen said that she can instruct more than a hundred students at a time, I was reminded of what we learned about MOOCs, and more accessible instruction. While I still think that same-site interaction provides an optimum learning experience, I can clearly see how these courses can be successful, especially with an engaging and organized instructor like Far.
     Overall, the experience was beneficial, both technically, and as a philosophically broadening experience. Thank you, Farheen!

1 comment:

  1. You have a solid point there about Far's online courses being similar to MOOCs. With the ability to raise one's hand within WebEx, share one's desktop, video etc., really the differences aren't that great! I'm hoping to take my first MOOC through Coursera in January to experience what it's like. Perhaps you can give it a try too!

    ReplyDelete