Monday, November 5, 2012

2:18

     I am beginning to integrate my two iPads into the classroom. Obviously, it would be better to have a greater number - either a full class set or five or six to do group work, but two is better than none! The challenge has been to avoid just using them to fill time for students who finish regular work sooner then their peers. It can quickly be seen as a treat that only an elite few receive.
     Instead I am trying to stay mindful of finding ways to either rotate the time with iPads or use them in groups of three, giving six students a chance to use them in a given time period. The latter idea has proven to work well when I plan their usage as a center. I am also finding that since they are such knowledgeable users of this technology that I am rarely needed to troubleshoot, as they can handle most issues that arise for themselves.
     So far I have used the iPads mostly in Second Grade Math and in Third Grade Geography. There are not many ways to make learning the 50 states fun, but iPads do.
     I am currently lobbying hard for an additional pair of Ipads - I bought the first two, and am asking my school to pick up the tab for two more. Being able to put more students there for longer periods of time would allow me to do more in-depth learning, particularly in reading, for greater differentiated learning experiences.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's very wise to use the iPads as centers like you have been given your device limitations--and super insightful of you to think about eliminating the 'elite usage' ahead if time. Students notice that stuff for sure! I really hope your school steps up to help you with your request, especially if you bought the first two out of pocket yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a very difficult task to try to share 2 iPads in your classroom. I like your idea about a rotation basis. A potential idea for sharing the two iPads could be in the context of a class-wide project. That way on different days, different groups could use them for the specific part of the project they were working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my classroom, I only have 4 Ipads for 16 students. I can see how challenging it can be to integrate technology when there is so few. Using the Ipad in centers is a good idea. As to getting more for your classroom, maybe writing a grant could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to experiment and see what is going to work for you. I have only 4 of them in my classroom of 31 students. I understand how tough it could be especially since you want to reward students by using them but not for finishing work early. Currently I am using them as a Math May Do and in rotations (by tables), in literature circles and occasionally in my own teaching. It has been a learning experience especially since this is the first year I do so. If you need some ideas with apps let me know, I would gladly share some that have worked for me.

    ReplyDelete